It used to be that customers would naturally keep buying from us. But it isn’t that easy anymore. We have to work harder to constantly impress them.
So what are we doing to make sure every new customer has a good reason to return?
In these days of rapidly declining customer loyalty its critical to find ways to maximise the number of customers who keep coming back.
As a consumer, have you ever experienced that “wow” moment ??? I think we all have. That feel good moment, our expectation exceeded, without even knowing we had any expectation in the first place.
How do we make that a regular occurrence for our customers ?
Having the customer focus mindset switched on every day is critical, and most critically its about your staff. The people who greet our customers first, either face to face or on the phone.
Owners who employ the wrong people for customer-facing positions are destroying their opportunity, in about 30 seconds flat.
Here are my 5 strategies to ensure you make a good first impression and maximise your customer retention;
- Take great care to employ the right staff – good people skills and a naturally positive attitude are not “optional extras”, they’re absolutely essential.
- Continually train your people to exhibit the level of customer service you expect. Then check on them regularly.
- Lead by example – good staff will follow your style.
- Attend to all customer complaints with urgency. Don’t let customers have the time to dwell on a bad experience. Beware, many customers won’t complain, they simply won’t come back… and they’ll tell their friends.
- Ask for customers feedback and use it to good effect – you may not implement everything they suggest but you’ll make them feel valued by showing them that you care.
Get those 5 little things right and you’ll maximise the chances of getting customers coming back for more.
Business Advisor and Mentor - LINDSAY KING BUSINESS CONSULTING
I'm married with 2 grown up daughters.
I was a CFO for large businesses in my earlier working life.
I started my own consulting business with a desire to bring to SME's the support and the strategies that large businesses all take for granted.
For the last 20 years I've worked closely with over 300 small business owners with the tools and strategies to grow their business, grow the returns from their business and build significant saleable value. Its been a labour of love.
Honesty and ethics are paramount to me. Many of my clients have been with me for 5 years or more.